Thursday, June 10, 2010

Class Reflections

bell hooks wrote a book “Class Matters” in it she discusses the idea of class, and how she has struggled with her climbing of the “social ladder”. I have read my fair share of books, and I can truthfully say not many have spoke to me in such a personal way before. I grew up the eldest son of a waitress and a cook, neither with any real education to speak of other then real life. I grew up knowing what it meant to work and earn what you have, few things in our house were valued over work ethic. My parents worked their asses off to make sure my brothers and I got the best education, so we could go to college and didn’t have to “go through this shit”. I will never forget those days or lessons, and I am proud of my class background. Perhaps that it why it was/is so difficult, and I struggle now with admitting that I have it better. I am a college graduate of a private institution and a teacher, I am not rich by any means and still live paycheck to paycheck, but I have a TRA, I have enough left with every check to go on a date with my wife or to go visit her family in California and Arizona, if we save a couple pay periods. I am not waiting tables for minimum wage and being treated as if I am disposable, a feeling that far too many know far too well. However, with all of this being true I still identify with the working class, and I always will. I will never use my degree for social capital or to play savior to those that sacrificed for me to be here. I understand that people and relationships not money are what make this life worth living. I went to college with the idea that I would get my parents out of their circumstance, I would buy their house, send them on vacations (my mom is dying to see California), and they wouldn’t have to struggle anymore; while I still have those goals it is so much more. I want to use my degree in order to dismantle the system that caused this struggle. I want all my people, all those I grew up with who are now either drunk at the palace, killing other poor people in the Middle East, or have “made it” and never come back to NE to know that they are valuable and honored not because of their bank account, degrees, skin color, gender, or how many "terrorists" they kill in the name of the flag, but because they are human and have god in them. I want them to know that it is off of their backs that wealth is made, and maintained in this country. I want them to know that when they can’t fall asleep at night because they are stressed over money they are not alone, and it is not right. I want them to know the Power of You is more than a two year ride to MCTC, but something that can truly change our world. I want them to know the police will never protect my interests, and that the schools don’t talk about my heroes either. I want them to know when I say us I mean exactly that- us, and above all I want all those people who have taken advantage of us, and continue to do so to know that we are here and we will not take it anymore. I understand completely now, class is a mind state, experience, and value system as much as it is a paycheck, so this is my promise to my wife, my brothers, my parents, my grandparents, uncles, aunts, cousins, old friends and new ones, our daughters and sons that will inherit our legacies, all those that feel me deep in their stomaches- I will always keep my mind right. There is no war but the class war!

In solidarity
Ryan “BUGS” Williams-Virden

No comments:

Post a Comment